Saturday, 15th August, 2020
In 1932 when Tuberculosis (TB) was rampant in Ireland, Sisters of Bon Secours were invited by the Bishop of Cork to respond to this great need, a sanatorium was built in Mount Desert serving the people of Cork until 1960, after which date a drug emerged to cure TB so the need no longer existed. The Sanatorium was converted to a Care of the Elderly Facility, which is a priority for Bon Secours today.
In 2002 a new state-of-art facility replaced the old building, which provides care for 62 residents, consisting of Long Term, Convalescent and Respite Care as well as Independent Living for Older People.
Sisters minister in a pastoral capacity providing spiritual nourishment in a variety of ways to the residents at Mount Desert.