Saturday, 15th August, 2020
At the invitation of Bishop Dorrian, the Bon Secours Sisters set up a ministry in Alfred St. Belfast in 1872. The Sisters lived for many years on the Falls Road, courageously facing the reality of life in Belfast, visiting the poor, nursing the sick and dying in their homes, and providing residential care and a hospital chaplaincy service.
In 1975 when a bomb damaged their house they moved to Andersonstown, where they remained until 2008.
One Sister continued to provide compassionate care to the people of the Andersonstown area until November 2015.
This brought to an end the presence and service of the Sisters of Bon Secours in Belfast after 143 years.